A Review of the S.C. Department of Aging
Members of the South Carolina General Assembly requested an audit of the S.C. Department on Aging (SCDOA). Our objectives included:
- Review the revenue sources and funding for SCDOA to determine whether funds are allocated to areas of greatest need and to determine whether appropriate procedures are in place to ensure that providers are compensated correctly and in a timely manner.
- Review the process by which SCDOA monitors programs to determine if programs are implemented effectively, efficiently, consistently, and according to applicable law and best practices.
- Review SCDOA’s human resources’ management practices to determine if the agency complies with applicable laws and agency policies.
- Review SCDOA’s communication practices within the agency and with partners throughout the aging network to determine if the agency is transparent, responsive, and providing timely and accurate information.
- Review SCDOA’s organizational and management structures to determine if the agency is effectively organized to deliver and monitor services to seniors.
In January 2020 we surveyed SCDOA staff using SurveyMonkey® to get input on management issues and the agency climate. We had an 83% response rate (34 of 41). We included responses throughout the report and appended aggregated responses to the full report.