A Review of the S.C. Arts Commission
Members of the House Ways and Means Committee requested the Legislative Audit Council to review the operations of the S.C. Arts Commission (SCAC). Our objectives for this review were to:
- Evaluate the administrative costs of the agency and ensure compliance with proviso 30.4 in the FY 12-13 appropriations act.
- Determine whether the agency has meaningful measures to effectively evaluate program performance.
- Review and comment on current agency staffing levels and how they compare with industry norms.
- Assess the use and distribution of grant funds and to determine whether current practices are effective.
- Review program accounting and record keeping processes in comparison to public sector best practices — with special attention to the transparency and accountability of program expenses.