A Review of Children's Behavioral Health Services at the S.C. Department of Health and Human Services
Members of the General Assembly requested an audit of the S.C. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to determine how the agency’s reimbursement policy and other policy changes since 2007 have impacted children’s behavioral health services in our state. Our objectives included:
- Determine how changes made in DHHS policies affected the delivery of children’s behavioral health services.
- Determine how DHHS is monitoring the managed care organizations (MCOs) to ensure that children are receiving the proper treatment and evaluate the effects of introducing MCOs on July 1, 2017.
- Determine steps DHHS has taken to ensure the current method of payment and rates are sufficient to ensure access to quality care.
- Determine if state laws regarding the education of children in Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTFs) ensure proper oversight.
- Review DHHS’ decision to place a moratorium on new providers and its effects.
- Evaluate DHHS’ transparency and communication.