WORK IN PROGRESS
South Carolina's Public Pensions
Members of the General Assembly requested that we conduct a review South Carolina’s public pensions with specific attention to the rate of return on investments, annual contributions by taxpayers and public employees, the allocation of investment assets, and the degree to which the pensions are adequately funded. The present value of the pensions earned by public employees is approximately $47 billion.
Department of Mental Health
The Senate Medical Affairs Legislative Oversight Subcommittee directed the LAC to review four issues regarding the S.C. Department of Mental Health (DMH). These issues include:
- Review the terms of the sale of the DMH Bull Street campus and the agency’s plans for using the sale proceeds.
- Determine whether the responsibilities of DMH established by the Sexual Violent Predator Act are appropriate for DMH.
- Evaluate whether DMH and the Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services could be combined into one department.
- Review the efficiency and effectiveness of the requirements of the forensics program operated by DMH.
Department of Transportation
Funding and expenditures for the last 10 years.
Prioritization of projects as mandated in Act 114.
Contracting procedures and safeguards to ensure fair contract awards and to whom they are awarded.
Reviewing mandatory annual statutory audits to determine if problems identified have been corrected.
Members of the Senate requested the LAC conduct a comprehensive audit of the S.C. Department of Transportation (DOT) to include:
The House of Representatives Legislative Oversight committee, pursuant to the authority granted by S.C. Code Section 2-2-60(D) and House Legislative Oversight Rule 7.6, concurred with the Senators’ request to conduct a comprehensive audit of DOT and included:
- An update on the status of the agency’s implementation of recommendations from the LAC 2006 audit and the 2010 follow-up report.
- A review and recommendation regarding resurfacing, reconstruction and reclamation processes.